Piatti del giorno 75
More time on compsci fundamentals and CAD programming lately, so living the dream.
- Flux Factory - Taking on the hard problems, hopefully not just vapour. Have bookmarked the page and made a note to come back in 2015 (h/t Chad Oberg).
- Something is Very Wrong - “The way we see it, the excessive fees and disproportionate time required of the permitting and inspection phases of a project are clear indicators that the needle of the sensibility-o-meter is red-lining.”
- Improper Abstraction - “I suppose I understand the perspective of these engineers, though I don’t think their fear is of abstraction. It is a fear of improper abstraction, which is often the product of trying to create an abstraction before you even understand the problem.”
- A113Animation Interview: William Joyce - I didn’t know about Joyce before WWDC 2012, at which he just blew me away at a lunch session, and continues to do so.
- SketchUp Mobile Viewer - Finally. (Caveat: currently hangs if you have 2FA set on your Google account, so good luck getting a model into the app. It doesn’t seem to support “Open In”).
- Open Source Photogrammetry: Ditching 123D Catch - If you have the skills to plug it all together, “amazing” doesn’t even begin to describe what you can do with FOSS these days.
- The Essential Leslie Lamport - A nice subset of Lamport’s work that I’ll be familiarizing myself with sometime.
- SketchUp Pro 2014 and IFC: welcome to the new world of BIM - There’s a loose-fit, leave-a-lot-to-the-humans aspect to Sketchup that makes me think this’ll be big. BIM (horrible acronym) for the rest of us.
- http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~rwh/plbook/book.pdf - A preview of Robert Harper’s new book (h/t Phillip Bowden).